The Gender Desk was started in 2020 and so far has accomplished policy reform, become a council hub overseeing all gender activities in the province, advocating for equal empowerment opportunities with men and is supporting some 100 underprivileged girls with sanitary wear as it intensifies women’s rights Sanitary wear distribution began in January and beneficiaries of the program are identified by councilors, junior councilors and selected council staff,
Masvingo City is dedicated to empowering and protecting women because they are our mothers, wives and daughters.
- City of Masvingo joined the Center of Excellence program in 2011 and is making strides in improving gender issues within the structures. The council is also a Hub council for Masvingo province urban councils under the Hub and Spoke programme for gender mainstreaming.
Since them a lot of activities have been done to date including:
Introduction of a Gender Desk, one of whose objectives is to gender mainstreaming all council activities to ensure that no persons is left behind in allocation of council resources and participation.
This includes women, men, youths and People with disability.
- Also introduced and gender policy along those lines is a Sexual Harassment Policy whose objectives are to deter the abuse of women and men in the workplaces and that women feel safe and represented at their respective workplaces.
Some of the objectives of the Gender Desk are to ensure that:
- All council polices are gender sensitive,
- Advise council on gender issues and policy,
- Ensure that all council systems and programs are gender mainstreamed
Updates on Gender Issues
Check for latest gender updates from our gender desk.