HISTORY OF MASVINGO
The City of Masvingo derives its name from the national shrine of the country, the Great Zimbabwe National Monument. Masvingo is a Shona (indigenous language) name, which means “Building Made out of Stones”. The City, was resuscitated in 1890 by a British Pioneer Column, which had identified the area as ideal for a capital city of the country, then called Fort Victoria.
However, the idea of a capital city was abandoned when the present capital city of Harare was discovered and established as Salisbury. The settlement continued to grow until it became a Town Council in 1926 and a Municipality in 1953. Masvingo attained city status in February 2002...
Mayor’s Welcome Note
News & Speeches
Read our latest news. Be always in trend with daily news.