WHAT IS CHOLERA?
- Cholera is a diarrheal illness caused by bacterial infection in the intestine.
- Cholera causes severe watery diarrhea and may cause vomiting.
- Cholera can cause death from dehydration (the loss of water and salts from the body) within hours if not treated.
How to protect yourself from Cholera
a) Personal Hygiene and Sanitation
- Always wash hands with soap and safe water.
- Always use a toilet
- All toilet contact areas to be regularly sanitised.
- b) Food
- Always cook raw food thoroughly
- Eat cooked food immediately whilst hot.
- Wash hand before preparing, cooking or eating food.
- Wash vegetables thoroughly with safe water.
- Always cover cooked food and store it carefully in a cool place.
c) Safe drinking water
- Always collect / drink water from a known safe place.
- Keep drinking water in a clean covered bucket. NB: Immediately report to nearest Health facility when anyone who has developed the signs and symptoms of Cholera, once signs and symptoms develop be quick to drink salt and sugar solution as one finds their way to the clinic.