PRESS BRIEFING BY DEPUTY MAYOR Cllr W. MAWENDE ON THE 2023 BUDGET PRESENTED BY THE CHAIRMAN OF FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. It is my pleasure to give you this press briefing on the 2023 budget that has just been presented to
and adopted by council today.
The key highlights are;
1. The budget was prepared after extensive consultations with stakeholders through ward-based meetings and meetings with women, youths and differently abled members of our community. Meetings were also held with the residents’ associations and business community. The budget was also advertised in the print media to ensure that no one would be left behind in contributing to the development of the city.
2. The budget theme “Re-tooling for improved service delivery” directs us to focus on the adequacy and functionality of service delivery infrastructure and equipment as we gear ourselves to contribute to the national vision of attaining an upper middle-income society by 2030.
3. The budget has been prepared in United States Dollars, consistent with the presentation by the Minister of Finance and Economic Development on the expected subsistence of the multi-currency system until 2025. However, charges to residents and clients will be made at the prevailing exchange rate on the date of payment.
4. The total budget is USD23.6 million of which USD17 million is expected to be generated internally while USD6 million is expected to be funded from other sources such as Intergovernmental fiscal transfers, Zinara grants and external
5. The capital budget is USD8.5 million while the recurrent budget is USD15.1 million.
6. Expenditure allocations by program are as follows;
Governance and Administration US$5.5 million
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene US$7.2 million
Social Services US$7.4 million
Roads US$2.3 million
Public Safety and Security Services US$1.2 million
7. Capital expenditure priorities presented by the Chairman of the Finance and General Purposes Committee are;
Education facilities US$734,000
Health Facilities US$631,000
Water & Sewer Infrastructure US$2.6 million
Roads and Storm Water Drainage US$632,000
Social Amenities US$2.9 million
Operational Assets US$1 million
I would like to thank you for attending this briefing and hope that together we will tell the Masvingo story as we push to develop our city
and country at large. I wish you a pleasant day.